SuperATV Can-Am Defender 8″ Portal Gear Lift
Your Defender isn’t YOUR Defender until you’ve got a big lift and some massive mud grips on it. We’ve got the perfect thing for you—an 8” GDP Portal Gear Lift. That’s a huge lift, and you can choose from a 45% or 60% gear reduction to give you the boosted torque. If you want the most extreme ride, opt for our 70% gear reduction paired with dual idler gears. With a little help from GDP, you can have the biggest portal lift and gear reduction at the bounty hole. What’s gonna stop you now?
What is a Dual Idler?
Perfection takes time. After years of research and development, we’ve made our dual idler gear portals unlike any other. By placing a second idler gear in the portal box, the load gets spread over twice as much surface area for more reliable torque transfer and the strongest gear set you can get. Two idler gears don’t do a thing if they’re not mated perfectly, though. Precision CNC grinding ensures ours do. Our gears are made from the industry’s toughest 9310 steel alloy. Didn’t think dual idlers mattered? With GDP’s quality and experience, they finally do.
45%, 60%, and 70% Gear Reductions Destroy Mud
It seems like we see more Defenders in the mud every time we go out—it’s a great side-by-side for it. But with 8” portals and a 45%, 60%, or 70% gear reduction, it becomes the ultimate mud UTV. You’ll have room for up to a 44” tire and all that torque means you can push through anything if the mud’s even deep enough to reach your skid plate.
A Gear Reduction That Protects Your Drivetrain
Portals put the gear reduction right in the hub. That matters because putting it after your drivetrain components will make them last longer. GDP reduces the stress on your axles, differential, prop shaft, and transmission even if you’re rolling on huge tires.
Unmatched Gear Material
What’s more important than gears in a portal gear lift? Nothing. That’s why our top-of-the-line gears are made from precision-ground 9310 alloy steel. They mate perfectly every time and give you smooth, quiet portals no matter how fast you go. GDP gives you luxury-grade performance.
Stronger Housings by Design
Some might think you can use brute force to make better housing. They’d be wrong. We use precise design honed over years and backed by hundreds of thousands of ride hours to make the strongest portal boxes in the industry. So whether you want cast or USA-made billet aluminum for your housings, you know you’re getting high-quality, precision hardware that will stand up to any ride.
- Our housings are reinforced in all the right places
- They’re built with better oil flow and gearing forces in mind
- There are no gimmicks and no vents because vents do more harm than good—we know because we tested them
The Strongest Portal Backing Plates You Can Get
How do we make the strongest backing plates on the planet? We start with an advanced steel alloy that’s even stronger pound-for-pound than Chromoly. Then, we make it 5/16 inches thick, and, finally, we hand-weld gussets and pivot blocks to it. We went all out on strength because if you’re backing plate doesn’t hold up, you’re done playing. So keep playing with GDP.
Advanced Gaskets and Seals
Whether you go with cast or billet, both housings use:
- Advanced Thermo-Tork® gaskets to keep oil in and water out. They have excellent oil resistance and a lower deterioration rate than Kevlar gaskets.
- A sealed input gear and double-lipped output seal.
- 100% sealing coverage throughout. You can forget about oil leaks—nothing’s getting in or out, ever.
Bearings That Rock
All the strongest housings, gears, plates, and hardware would mean nothing if we had just average bearings. But, like everything else, we opted to make them as good as possible. With a double-angular contact bearing on the output shaft that can take hit after hit, you can rest easy knowing that even GDP’s bearings are built for battle.
Universal Hubs and Slotted Rotors
Our precision-ground, stainless steel slotted rotors stay cool to give you the braking power you need when you need it. They come with 4/156, 4/137, 4/115, and 4/110 bolt patterns and lugs so you can use wheels from just about any side-by-side. We invented the tapered output shaft that our hubs attach to, which provides a more secure lock that won’t wobble or wear over time.
Frame Stiffener Required
These 8” portals are big beefy and powerful. In fact, they give you such a big lift that your Can-Am Defender needs a frame stiffener to keep from bending its chassis. We’ve put it through its paces and bent plenty of frames. Trust us and get a frame stiffener.
8” Portal Gear Lift Includes:
|(4) Assembled portal hub boxes complete with 9310 gears, seals, output shaft, Thermo-Tork® gaskets, and thrust bearings|
|(4) Universal hubs and precision-ground stainless steel slotted rotors with lugs|
|(4) Specialized steel alloy backing plates|
|(4) Steel caliper mounting plates|
|Extended brake lines|
|All required hardware, including recessed castle nut socket|
|Frame stiffener (optional)|
Can-Am Defender Portal Gear Suspension Recommendations
|Max Tire Size||Required Suspension Setup with 8″ Portals|
|40″||2″ Forward Offset A-Arms|
|44″||6″ Lift Kit|
|Max tire sizes are measured at full compression and full turn. The given tires sizes are the largest we fit without rubbing. With minor trimming or a small amount of rub, larger tire sizes can be used.|
- Available with billet or cast aluminum housing
- Cool, quiet, precision ground gears made from 9310 alloy billet steel
- 1.5 in. diameter 4340 hardened steel driveshaft
- 1.5 in. forward and rear offset
- Housings use Thermo-Tork® gaskets that don’t let anything through
- The universal hub fits all major bolt patterns
- Gear reduction reduces stress on your drivetrain
- 22” or larger wheel required
- Wheels cannot exceed 5” backspacing
- Can-Am Defender HD 5: 2017+
- Can-Am Defender HD 5 DPS: 2017+
- Can-Am Defender HD 8: 2016+
- Can-Am Defender HD 8 DPS: 2016+
- Can-Am Defender HD 8 XT: 2016+
- Can-Am Defender HD 8 XTP: 2018+
- Can-Am Defender HD 10: 2016-2019
- Can-Am Defender HD 10 DPS: 2016-2019
- Can-Am Defender HD 10 XT: 2016-2019
- Can-Am Defender HD 10 XT Cab: 2016+
- Can-Am Defender HD 10 XTP: 2018-2019
- Can-Am Defender HD 10 Mossy Oak: 2018+
- Can-Am Defender HD 10 XMR: 2018-2019
- Can-Am Defender Limited: 2020+
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 8: 2017+
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 8 DPS: 2017+
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 8 XT: 2017+
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 10: 2017-2019
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 10 DPS: 2017-2019
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 10 XT: 2017-2019
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 10 XT Cab: 2017+
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 10 XMR: 2019+
- Can-Am Defender MAX HD 10 Lone Star Edition: 2018+
- Can-Am Defender MAX Limited: 2020+
- Big Lift Kit or 2″ Forward Offset A-Arms are strongly recommended.
- Wheels need to have a center hole of at least 3.25″ (82.55mm) or require a 1” wheel spacer.